Doosan DX140LC and DX140LCR crawler excavators move to Tier 4 compliance
Two new Doosan crawler excavators have been added to the company's Tier 4–compliant lineup, featuring improved performance, operator-focused comfort, fuel economy and jobsite durability. The 14-metric-ton DX140LC-5 and DX140LCR-5 machines replace the interim Tier 4 “dash-3” models.
The DX140LCR-5 model offers a shorter tail swing, allowing operators greater flexibility where space is a premium without sacrificing performance. Both the DX140LC-5 and DX140LCR-5 excavators are designed for long life with an extra-sturdy frame and reinforced superstructure. They come standard with permanently sealed and lubricated track links, and the bushings and hard-wear disks are designed for reliability as well as extended service intervals to increase uptime.
Smart Power Control (SPC)
A new selectable feature, Smart Power Control, is available on both models and consists of two systems – Variable Speed Control and Pump Torque Control – that work together to improve machine efficiency while maintaining productivity and reducing fuel consumption. The engine control unit (ECU) automatically manages SPC when SPC is engaged. Each of the four power modes will function with SPC engaged or disengaged; however, SPC can be active only in the Digging work mode.
- Variable Speed Control: Reduces engine rpm during low workload requirements such as during the swing portion of a dig cycle. This reduces the total energy required to perform a task and improves fuel efficiency by up to 3 to 7 percent.
- Pump Torque Control: Efficiently matches hydraulic pump torque and engine response to the task, preventing engine overload and excess fuel consumption, improving efficiency.
Both excavators come standard with an improved 7-inch LCD screen that allows operators to continue monitoring the excavator parameters while viewing the rearview or optional side-view camera image. Critical machine data appears next to the camera view. With an optional side camera, a split screen allows both camera displays to be viewed at once. New additions to the monitor include the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) gauge and improved fuel efficiency.
Doosan added auto shutdown to both models to help owners save fuel during non-working conditions.
New machine updates
In addition to SPC, auto shutdown and LCD screen updates, the new Doosan DX140LC-5 and DX140LCR-5 crawler excavators have the following updates:
- Improved anti-skid plates: for easier engine access for machine maintenance
- Emergency engine stop: relocated for easier operator access
- Improved serviceability: allows for easier access to components and less time for maintenance
- Upgraded alternator: delivers improved power for electrical components
- New front window design: provides good visibility to the work area
Tier 4 solution
The Doosan DX140LC-5 and DX140LCR-5 comply with Tier 4 emission standards with modified diesel engines and aftertreatment technologies. The engine is optimized for use with a high-pressure common-rail (HPCR) fuel delivery system and a cooled exhaust gas recirculation (CEGR) system. It utilizes a diesel oxidation catalyst to reduce particulate matter and selective catalyst reduction (SCR) aftertreatment to reduce nitrogen oxides. Additionally, a variety of aftertreatment systems have been implemented as part of the Tier 4 compliance, such as DEF, which is used with SCR technology.